Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

As I write this, I am sitting at my parents' house in Chelsea, MI. The kids and I have made the trip here for the week to spend Thanksgiving with my family. Sadly, Daniel couldn't come along--a brand new job at a retail store doesn't really offer lots of holiday time off just yet. :) I am thankful to be here, thankful for the freedom in my schedule to travel, and thankful for the opportunity to preach at my parents' church (my "home" church where I grew up and got married) this Sunday! So exciting! (and nerve-racking...all those people who knew me way back when, as an obnoxious kid and an even more obnoxious teenager.)

In the last week or so, I have been through a roller coaster of emotions, ranging from happiness, to loneliness, to excitement, to intense sadness, and everything in between. I knew that this adventure would be difficult, so I can't say I'm surprised. But I wasn't looking forward to the sad times. My birthday was last Sunday--and I realized I didn't have any friends nearby to spend it with. That made me sad. Daniel and I wanted to meet some friends in Syracuse on Monday for a movie--but without a babysitter we couldn't do it. I have said out loud more than once this past week, "I want to go back home." But even as the words left my mouth, I knew I wouldn't, even if I had the chance. There is nowhere to go but forward, and so forward we will go.

And tomorrow is Thanksgiving. And I realize I have a lot to be thankful for. We have a church full of people in Watertown (not to mention elsewhere) praying for us and loving us. I got more birthday cards in the mail this year than I have ever gotten!! So far, God is providing each and every need (and then some). We have a beautiful family, an exciting calling in our lives, and a sense of mission to fulfill. We serve an awesome God who leads us with love, even through the tough times. No one said adventure was going to be easy--if it were easy, would it really be an adventure?

Please pray:
  • For me to find opportunities to teach Zumba (I made some initial contacts at the Y and a couple of other gyms--but I'd rather find a place that people can "drop in" and pay for classes as they go--that's an untapped market in Ithaca!)
  • For us to continue making contacts and turn those into real relationships (via work, neighborhood, dog park, community activities, etc.)
  • Sale of our Watertown house
  • Ethan's preschool
  • For God to move in a new way through us, because we certainly can't do anything on our own!

Have a safe, thankful, restful Thanksgiving leading into the Advent season.

P.S.--Here's a cool blog of daily Advent devotions to check out as we move into the Advent season. There is also a great article by Rob Bell on Advent in the latest issue of Relevant Magazine. Here's a link to the digital mag, the article starts on pages 80-81 of the digital copy. Enjoy!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Amanda! Have a wonderful time with your Michigan family. Praying for you as you prepare for Sunday, too! Love you! MIL

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Contributors